Newborn babies are just smaller. We all know that. Then why is it so HARD to find an easy, trim way to add additional absorbency? At this younger age, most inserts are either too wide or waaaaaay too thick. I was trying to add extra inserts to Norah’s diaper for bed and ended up elevating her butt 4 inches off the changing table. I love a fluffy bum as much as the next girl…but come on! I did finally find a solution and they have become some of my favorite inserts/boosters!
I’m talking about HumBird Inserts! Or absorbers, doublers, even liners, depending on what you call them.
I received this product for review purposes. All opinions expressed are honest and true.
HumBird inserts are available in two different fabrics and three sizes. The hemp/bamboo blend are made of two layers of 340 gsm 55% hemp and 45% bamboo fiber. The bamboo/organic cotton blend are made of two layers of 500 gsm 70% bamboo and 30% organic cotton. New, the inserts measure: newborn/small 12″ x 4″, med/large 13.5″ x 4.5″, and XL 16.5″ x 4.75″.
I have the hemp/bamboo blend in both newborn/small and the med/large. The inserts have had a bit of shrinkage from washing. The newborn/small are now 11″ long (still 4″ wide). The med/large are now 12.5″ long and 4.25″ wide. This is TOTALLY normal and to be expected in pretty much any insert (except microfiber because they are synthetic).
The newborn/small is amazing for babies newborn to 1 year. I would say that the med/large are good for any one size cover you have in your stash. I really started liking the way they fit when Norah turned about 7 months old. I don’t have any XL inserts, but Dawn, the owner of HumBird, tells me they were made to be an excellent fit for pocket diapers and older babies.
While these could be used on their own, they work best in pairs or with another insert. The XL would likely be sufficient as a stand alone insert because it’s size allows it to hold more.
You can see here how the HumBird Inserts compare to my other favorites; the Geffen Baby Super Absorber and Thirsties Hemp Inserts. All are very trim, absorbent and well-made. I would highly recommend any of them!
I’ve been using the newborn/smalls for about 4 months now and occasionally stuff the med/large in the few pockets I have. I much prefer using covers or all in two’s so the smaller ones have gotten way more use because they just fit better at this stage. For reference, Norah is 7.5 months and still in the smallest rise setting on most one size diapers.
Things I LOVE…
- These are thin and trim! Like seriously trim. Only about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- They look exactly the same as the day I received them. This means high quality materials and good construction.
- They wash and dry super easy because they are two layers. The more layers there are, the harder something becomes to wash and dry.
- Some hemp blends can get a bit scratchy over time. Not these. Still soft!
- I can use this in ANY of my diapers or covers. I’ve used it as a doubler in Norah’s night diapers and an extra insert in her day diapers. She likes to eat and that is A LOT of liquid and peeing.
- The smaller size (newborn/small) means that they fit in the smaller sized diapers. The crotch tends to be narrower in newborn/small diapers and larger inserts can sometimes be too wide to really fit in easily. The different sizes allow for a perfect fit for each size diaper you use.
- The price is VERY reasonable at $8.50 for a 3 pack of the newborn/small and $10 for a 3 pack of med/large. You can also purchase singles or packs of 6 and 12!
- HumBird has AMAZING customer service and is always coming out with new products. Many of which I also love!
- There is a $5 flat shipping rate WORLDWIDE! That doesn’t include insurance or tracking, but those can be added for a small additional fee if you choose.
Things I might change…
I’m not really sure there is anything I’d want different. Except for that I think I’m going to order more!
HumBird ships from Germany. Don’t let that scare you at all. I’m in New York and usually receive my packages in about a week. That’s the same amount of time something takes to get to me from California!
Purchase your inserts from www.Humbird.eu.
Have you tried any HumBird products? What do you think?
Jenn is a long-time cloth diaper educator and a passionate small business advocate. She has worked in the reusable diaper industry for over a decade, helping millions of families via her websites All About Cloth Diapers, Thinking About Cloth Diapers and Cloth Diaper Geek as well as hundreds of small businesses during that time. Her goal always to provide simple, reliable information.