This is not a paid endorsement. I was not given a Flip to review.
As you may recall, on September 14th I posted about Cotton babies new products: Flip and Econobums. I went ahead and pre-ordered a Flip Day Pack: Stay-Dry with 2 packs of disposable inserts.
I received my Flip pack about 2 weeks ago and I loved it right away. I’m just going to list out the reasons that I think Flip is awesome!
- You’ll remember the millions of times I have touted Bum Genius Organics AIO as my favorite cloth diaper. The reason (besides being super absorbent) for my affection is the wonderful fit of the shell.The BG butterfly closure allows for a perfect fit on any baby. Paisley wore them and she had fat thighs and quite the tummy. Sterling has stick legs and a skinny waist. On both, the BG fit was the way all cloth diapers should fit.I have never had problems with the snap down rise on the BG shell coming undone during application or by movement of the child. All the things I love about the Bum Genius Organics AIO fit and ease of use are present in the Flip cover as it is the same!
- Cover is PUL lined not fleece or other fabric. This allows for many uses before a urine odor sticks and you can wipe out any messes that might get on the wipe-able area.
- The stay-dry inserts are absorbent, easy to use, nighttime worthy (by doubling) and one-sized. Cottonbabies even embroidered on the Flip inserts where to fold insert for which size: labeled Small, Medium and Large. The insert slides under the flap in the back and there is one in the front as well. I don’t tuck the insert in the front flap since I have a boy and I didn’t want moisture going on the cover.
- As mentioned above, the system is nighttime worthy. The first day I got them in the mail, I quickly washed and dried them and used it at night. I put two of the inserts together as recommended. As my husband and I went to bed I told him that I was nervous about changing the routine I’ve had for 6 months. He thought I was crazy for not going with a system I knew worked without fail.But, Sterling woke up the next morning not only with dry sheets but dry skin! We typically use an sbish bamboo fitted which does not wick moisture away from the skin. Although organic and natural is preferred, I liked the fact that Sterling’s skin was not visibly wet.
- Trim and absorbent- what more could you ask for? Years ago I remember the big dilemma in the cloth diaper world was how to achieve trimness and absorbency in one diaper. Fabrics like microfiber, bamboo and zorb have made this more common today. Flip gives you both all combined with a proven closure system, great colors and …
- AFFORDABLE! In a Flip Day Pack you receive 2 covers and 6 inserts. At $49.95 that comes to less than $8.50 a diaper!! Ladies, this leaves no excuse for moms wanting to cloth diaper but financially too strapped for the initial investment.For most children (newborns not included) I would recommend 2 day packs + 12 stay-dry inserts. This comes to less than $150 for 4 covers and 24 stay-dry inserts. For a limited time Cottonbabies is making the cover available by itself for $13.95. I have used the cover over an sbish fitted easily.
A couple of problems I foresee: the colors available are not gender neutral, big poopies may not stay on the insert (not found a system like this that did contain messes just to the insert), no snap for the insert could result in bunching.
As I mentioned, I also purchased 2 packs of the disposable inserts. I have used one for test purposes (the rest will be used when I travel for Thanksgiving) and was happy with the absorbency. I does create an almost too trim cloth diaper. I know, sounds weird. But, since Sterling is so skinny it was barely enough substance for the cover to fit. I just put it on the tightest settings and we were okay. I will update you in December how the disposables worked for us at Thanksgiving.
Jenn recently blogged about the contents of the disposable Flip insert. Here is an excerpt detailing the contents of the liner:
Flip One-Size Disposable Inserts are easy to use, dye free, fragrance free and the only disposable insert that has achieved Oeko-Tex certification. Perfect for travel, daycare and those moments when practical life demands something disposable. Each package contains 18 inserts, perfect for a weekend away.Each Flip disposable insert contains the following ingredients:
- Non-woven bamboo viscose, 5g
- Wood pulp, 14-15g
- SAP, 3g
- Starch-based glue, 1gFlip disposable inserts are very simple and very basic. No plastic, no latex, no adhesives, nothing extra. Just an absorbent pad that meets the ultra high standards demanded by Oeko-Tex. Flip disposable pads can be used in Flip, bumGenius (even in the pocket!) or Econobum.
Here’s my favorite part: “Created for when life just demands an alternative…”
I appreciate that Jenn and team see that there are always going to be times when life doesn’t accommodate a 100% cloth system. I have many emails come in that say they want to cloth diaper but aren’t ready to fully dive in. This is a great entry point for parents on the fence about cloth diapering.
Autumn is a wife, mother, homeschool teacher, friend and most important a follower of Christ.