If you have more than one child it didn’t take you long to realize how very different each child is. Different personalities, different sleep patterns and different body shapes. So we explain what the best cloth diapers are for the skinny child.
I’ve had a variety of body shapes with my children. Haley was long and skinny. Haven had a skinny waist but chunky thighs. Paisley was well endowed all over. Sterling is missing the fat all over.
Just like a shirt that fits me probably won’t fit you, cloth diapers that worked for Paisley most likely won’t work for Sterling.
That doesn’t mean that all cloth diapers are meant only for skinny babies or chunky babies. There are many that accommodate both. But, for that nice, snug fit on those precious stick legs you want to know in advance the cloth diaper you are about to buy is going to hold in the output.
Here are cloth diapers that I have used in the last 11 months on Sterling and how they have faired on a baby with no waist and tiny thighs:
2) Rumparooz. Awesome fit with skinny thighs. Gapping at waist, front puckers.
3) Mutts (Muttaqin Baby). Used from birth to 4months. No leaks out the thighs or waist.
4) Grasshopper Cloth diapers. Tight fit at thighs. Side snapping allows the front panel to lay flat with no sagging.
5) BumGenius Organic and Flip Cloth Diapers. With double rows of snaps I get a good leg fit but often have bunching due to tightening the waist as far as it can. Sterling wears these on the medium setting.
6) Goodmama. Not my favorite. I have to crossover the tabs as far as possible then I get bunching. (review of The One coming soon!)
7) Katydid. Love em. The wing droop snap is a little off center but who cares! I love the fact that I actually have this option. I get the best fit on Sterling when I use a Katydid. (review coming soon!)
8 ) Envibum. Covers: not the best for skinny babes. Pocket AIO: at 19lbs I get a perfect fit.
9) Huggabuns One Size pocket. Huge. Even on the smallest waist setting it’s too big. This diaper would be excellent for chunky babies.
10) Bottomstoppers. Love the waist adjustability with the aplix version. I am able to get a tight fit with no gaps.
11) Cutiepoops. Very snug, compact fit. Nice. (review coming soon!)
12) Marvels One Size Diaper Cover (kissaluvs). Better for a medium sized to chunky baby.
13) Happy Heiny’s One Size snap cover. Similar to Marvel, not the best choice for skinny baby.
14) So Simple Stacinator cover. Great choice. At 19lbs Sterling wears the small with a perfect fit.
15) Sustainablebabyish Bamboo fitted. Great waist and thigh fit. Lower rise diaper, tight elastic, crossover snaps.
16) Thirsties covers. Order small! Sterling can literally swim laps in his medium Thirsties cover. A size small would be just right. Internal gussets are a necessity.
17) Weehuggers. Loved the fit, absorbency wasn’t enough.
18) Anne Marie Padorie I wasn’t a big fan of the pocket but love the AIO. I’m still using it today (7 months later!) and there are no stink problems and the fit is what you’d want- snug.
19) Apple Cheeks cloth diapers.Awkward fit on a 2.5 month old skinny baby.
20) Grobaby. Initially loved them. The fit is great but the re-usability of the shell became an issue for me.
21) Sposoeasy AIO. Puckering at waist led to wicking. Trim and easy to use though.
23) Sustainablebabyish Snapless multi. Maybe it’s me but again, as with LBB, I couldn’t get a tight thigh fit but the waist was great.
There are a few features that are a must when it comes to preventing a saggy cloth diaper on a skinny child: crossover snaps/tabs, 2 rows of snaps (one for waist, one for thighs), a way to shorten the rise or a shorter rise sized diaper, front elastic and wing-droop snaps. There isn’t a perfect cloth diaper for every skinny baby but looking for a couple of these features will get you in the right direction. Usually if a cloth diaper doesn’t work for Sterling it is due to the poor fit at the waist. Bunching, puckering, wicking are all common problems with a small waisted child.
These are just the cloth diapers I could recall using in the last 11 months, what are some that I am missing that you love on your skinny baby?
Related post: http://www.allaboutclothdiapers.com/what-is-the-best-cloth-diaper-for-your-babys-body/
Autumn is a wife, mother, homeschool teacher, friend and most important a follower of Christ.