Guest post by Michelle.
An idea was subtly suggested to me by someone a few months ago; to consider stopping the use of cloth diapers because of the time I invest in their cleaning and such. This suggestion was presented not in a negative way but in a sympathetic way, trying to help me find some kind of relief. I was backed-up on my regular laundry partly because of the extensive process required to clean my diapers (which btw…took me 2 months to figure out with my water type and finding the right detergent and all).
Clothes were everywhere! I was almost literally drowning in a sea of cloth of all kinds. I admit it – I was doing a little complaining about the situation, trying to figure out how to manage it all. My schedule was becoming tighter and something had to give – why not it be the cloth diapers? Right?
So there it was…this suggestion. And a thought followed – in my mind it became, “Go back to disposables?”
As fast as it came – it left. There was no considering it at all. I immediately replied out loud, “No way. There’s absolutely no way.”
Isn’t it crazy how just an idea (of whatever magnitude) holds the potential to alter your life and the lives of those around you. I know it’s a cliché but sometimes you really don’t know what you have until it’s gone or until you imagine it gone.
I’m telling you (no exaggeration), I realized then and there how valuable the cloth diapering experience has been for my family because I didn’t even have to think about it. Cloth diapering is such a part of our lives now, I can’t imaging not doing it. It has become automatic.
Simply put…I love cloth dipers!
Why do you love cloth?
There are a host of reasons why I love cloth diapers. Here are a few:
- Cloth is natural! And it has started a “natural” revolution in me (e.g. practicing EC, eating organic, making homemade lotions, balms, baby food, etc.).
- My son hardly gets a diaper rash.
- I don’t have to run out to purchase diapers in an emergency!
- They have versatility w/o an extra cost – There is a much wider range of options than what is offered with disposables. For example, tailoring the thickness to suit baby’s activity or needs. Maybe a thin flat and cover for playtime, maybe a prefold and cover for naptime, then a pocket or AIO with inserts and doublers for over-night or long car ride. Whatever the need…cloth diapers provides a solution.
- The-oh-so-many choices of designs and colors to make changing diapers special and fun!
- And this is a huge one for me…..NO MORE LITTLE BALLS OF (POSSIBLY TOXIC) JELLY (polyacrylate – I think) LEAKING FROM THE DISPOSABLE DIAPER ONTO MY BABY’S PRIVATES!
Since the day I was faced with an opportunity to continue drowning, not in laundry but in a clouded perspective, I have become conscious of this fact, as far a cloth diapers go – I am at the point of no return – and so glad about it!
I have settled here content – no longer drowning but on the shores overlooking my sea of laundry – with a smile!
P.S. – In posts to follow, I will discuss how I now manage my laundry, how I figured out how to wash my cloth diapers, what products I use, etc…
Michelle is a wife and mommy (her dream come true)! Her family is her heart, and she feels that cloth diapering is a product of that love! Michelle finds solace in music, reading, writing, but mostly in her quietly beautiful times with Christ.