I’ve tried dozens and dozens of different cloth diaper brands. Most have at least one feature that is just right but the other features disappoint.
If I could design the perfect cloth diaper what would it look like?
Here are my favorite features from cloth diapers I have used:
- Softbums toggle rise adjustment. Genius. No snaps, easy to adjust, perfect fit.*
- Rumparooz gussets. Genius again. The “poop scoop” works 100% of the time. No leaks.*
- Stretchy tabs like Bum Genius. Gives you that extra stretch for a snug waist.*
- Crossover snaps like Preston Pants and Katydid. Should be a standard addition on diapers. A must have for skinny kids.
- Adorable and original prints like Goodmama and Rumparooz.
- Trifolding snap-in insert like Grasshopper AIOs. Easy to add a doubler and allows for quick dry.
- Elastic not just in the back (pretty standard) but in the front. Again a must for skinny kids and a bonus for boys. Baby Softwraps has this feature on the AI2 design.
- Trim like Grasshoppers and Bum Genius Organic AIO while still providing absorbency.
If it’s a pocket: one sized, internal rise adjustment or strong rise snaps that won’t unsnap when diapering, stretchy snap tabs, wide pocket in the front, elastic in front and back, soft microfleece inner, bamboo/microfiber insert like the super-do and gussets like Rumparooz.
If it’s an AIO: one sized, strong rise snaps that won’t unsnap when diapering, stretchy snap tabs, snap-in trifold insert, natural fibers, hidden snaps, trim, gussets are still possible (I laid my Grasshopper insert in the Rumparooz shell to test), front snapping with crossover snaps and a creative, colorful PUL/snap selection.
I haven’t yet found the perfect solution for wing-droop. Sterling gets it on almost every diaper. I know there are snap options on some brands but I don’t like the idea of an exposed snap when the child no longer needs it. Perhaps longer front panel wings would work.
What does your perfect cloth diaper look like? And if you get inspired by my list and create my perfect diaper, I get to try it first! ;) *Of course, a couple of my favorite features are patent pending and out of respect for their creativity I ask that you not duplicate it exactly!