If interlock and knit/crochet are too hard to get or are out of your budget there are still more options. There are tons of WAHMs that can turn an old wool sweater into the cutest pair of longies for your little one. Recycled wool longies are substantially less expensive and work just as well as their counterparts.
Misfit Moms: EUC
If you can operate a sewing machine you can probably make some longies yourself (operating the machine is about as far as my talent goes and I have made a couple of pairs). The pattern I have used is Sweaterpants. Extremely simple. And if you really like the sweater but don’t know how to use the body of it you can send it to one of the above WAHMs and have them convert it to a soaker. I did this and sent it to The Cat’s Meow. Jenn did and amazing job and it wasn’t the easiest sweater to work with!
I am currently using pocket diapers for Paisley so I don’t lanolize the wool. However, if you are using fitteds the wool will need the lanolin to provide the wetness barrier. There are many ways moms lanolinize their wool but this is the system I have found to be the easiest. You will need: Lansinoh Lanolin, natural baby wash, sink and towel.
1) Melt a teaspoon of lanolin in a cup of water in the microwave. Mix.
2) Fill sink with cool to lukewarm water. Add desired amount of natural baby wash. Mix. Add melted lanolin.
3) Add wool items to the sink. Wash areas that are soiled or heavily peed on. Make sure each item is thoroughly covered with lanolin, I do this by kneading the wool gently.
4) Let sit 15 minutes.
5) Drain sink. Carefully rinse soap off with cool water. Don’t be too rough with your wool it can be damaged. Interlock is more forgiving.
6) Lay wool flat on towel and roll towel up. Lay wool on flat surface to dry for the next day or so.
I only need to lanolinize wool every month. When the moisture starts coming through the wool you know it’s time. You can spot wash your wool if food or poop gets on it.
You can also separate the washing and lanolin steps in this procedure. Washing the wool first then repeating the procedure for just the lanolin.
Autumn is a wife, mother, homeschool teacher, friend and most important a follower of Christ.